Tuesday 20 September 2016

My Postcard



Although this may not be your typical image when you think of what a postcard should look like, this image speaks to me in so many different ways. I didn’t start my education thinking that the way I wanted to help people was to teach. I started university with the desire to help people, but not really knowing how. Until I discovered Athletic Therapy which seemed to be a perfect fit. As time went on, I realized that as an athletic therapist, I didn’t just help people by treating their injuries. I became a friend, a teacher, a confidant, a counsellor, someone who listens and is trusted.

I didn’t realize it- but I am constantly teaching in my own way. I have student trainers that work for me, clinic volunteers that I supervise, and practicum students that I mentor. This image illustrates such a large part of who I am and what I do. I am extremely passionate about teaching all of my students, and my athletes as well. When I get a text or an email from a past student telling me which postgrad program they’ve gotten in to and seeing the excitement that radiates from them! Knowing that I was able to contribute to the big picture.

Which brings me to what really animates me – helping others to see the big picture. The big picture in my case is the human body. How everything is connected and how it all works together. A knee injury is very rarely “just a knee injury” and my approach is to always look “upstream, downstream”. I want to learn how to teach this for all different kinds of learners. Those who need more hands on learning (which was definitely me), visual learning, or a combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment